Women’s and Children’s Hospital. Off Cheetham Hill Road
Joint Architect G Westcott 12 Bridge Street Manchester and H Boddington 25 Old Burlington Street London W1
The site of this building, at Alms Hill, Cheetham Hill Road, Manchester was given by the late Sir Edward Holt, for many years the chairman of the hospital, whose family have subscribed largely to the building fund which is now nearing £100,000. The new hospital is to be a general hospital, and will replace the present hospital for women and children. It will contain upwards of 200 beds for in-patients, including a considerable number of private wards for paying patients. There will be a department for out-patients, a casualty unit and special departments, including X-ray, massage and light. In addition to the usual administrative and service departments there will be separate nurses’ and maids’ homes.
The site faces approximately south and slopes gently up from Cheetham Hill Road. As a result, the plan is somewhat unusual, wards being the most prominent feature of the design, while the administrative and service sections have been kept in a central position somewhat to the rear. The out-patients’ and special departments occupy he lowest floor, so that the ward blocks of three storeys are considerably raised and will benefit by receiving the maximum amount of light and air. The operating block lies to the north of the surgical section. The nurses’ and maids’ homes and the chapel occupy still higher ground behind the main block. The total cost, without equipment, is estimated at about £200,000. The architects are Messrs George Westcott (Lord Mayor of Manchester) and Henry Boddington MA ARIBA of London. [Builder 6 September 1929 page 394].
Reference Builder 6 September 1929 page 394