Building Name

Wesleyan Chapel and Schools Wellington Road/ Cambridge Grove Eccles

Date
1874 - 1876
Street
Wellington Road
District/Town
Eccles
County/Country
GMCA, England
Work
New Build

ECCLES. - The foundation‑stones of a new Wesleyan chapel and school were laid on Saturday afternoon at Eccles. The chapel, which will seat 1,100 people, will be in the Gothic style. It will be built of Yorkshire shoddies, with dressings of Stourton stone. The building will be surmounted by a spire. The architect is Mr C. O. Ellison, of Liverpool, and the builder is Mr James Leslie, of Bootle, near Liverpool. The school will accommodate 500 pupils in its principal room, and it will also comprise class and other rooms. The cost of the buildings is estimated at £11,000, exclusive of the spire, which is estimated to cost £600 more. [Building News 23 October 1874 page 506]

NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL AT ECCLES - Yesterday afternoon a new Wesleyan Chapel was opened at Eccles. The building, the foundation stone of which was laid on October 17 1874, is situated in Wellington Road, and is a very handsome structure. It is in the Gothic style of architecture, with a spire which, when completed, will be about 150 feet in height. Accommodation is provided for 1,150 worshippers, a large number of whom will occupy a spacious gallery which runs round three sides of the edifice. The internal fittings are of pitch-pine, the pulpit being of Caen stone, with elegant marble pillars. The whole of the windows will be of stained glass. In the rear of the chapel commodious schools have been erected, providing accommodation for 400 or 500 scholars. The total cost, including the sum paid for the site, will amount to ,15,000 or ,16,000, towards which upwards of ,10,000 has been promised and subscribed. The architect is Mr C O Ellison of Liverpool. [Manchester Guardian 5 October 1876 page 6]

Reference    Manchester Guardian 19 October 1874 page 5 - foundation stone
Reference    Building News 23 October 1874 page 506 – foundation stone
Reference    Manchester Guardian 5 October 1876 page 6 - opening