Building Name

Trinity Chapel Cumberland Street Macclesfield

Cheshire, England
New Build

MACCLESFIELD—The Wesleyans of Macclesfield have laid the memorial stones, ten in number, of a new chapel, in future to be known as Trinity Chapel, in Cumberland-street. The building will, we believe, cost between 7,0001. and 8,0001., and aided by many members of the Church and other bodies, about 4,6001. have already been realised. The building, it is expected, will be roofed about December, and be ready for opening in mid-summer, 1875. The architect is Mr. C. O. Ellison, of Liverpool, from whose designs and under whose superintendence the building is being erected. It is in the Gothic style, and will be as follows; 50 ft. wide inside, and 76 ft. long, exclusive of recess at one end for children's gallery, and at the other for chancel or orchestra; sitting accommodation being provided for 1,000. On plan, it {is arranged with central entrance, having inner vestibules 8 ft. wide, with glass door, to prevent draughts, and on either side entrances to the 'galleries—glass doors. Internally the chapel is divided by broad aisles, having pews on either side, with moulded and cut seat-ends, and framing to match front of pews next aisles. Boarding fir, the height of pew backs will be fixed round the walls, surmounted by an ornamentally perforated band with mouldings above and below, and crimson cloth behind the perforations. There will be a gallery three seats deep on three sides of the chapel, supported by light iron columns with foliated caps. The roof will be carried by six principals with hammer-beams, curved struts, ribs, &c, out of pitch pine, on carved Bath stone corbels, built in walls. A ceiling will be formed over the centre portion or nave, keeping up the Pointed character of the building. The chief effect of the interior will be the chancel end, which will have an arch, moulded, carried on marble shafts, with carved caps and corbels, bands, bases, &o. An organ, of design and decoration suitable to its position, will occupy the recess over the screen, and over it in the back wall of the chancel or orchestra, will be seen a rose-window of large size, filled in with stained glass. In addition to the chapel, there will be a large school-room, three vestries, lavatory, boiler and heating apparatus-rooms, etc., complete, and space is left at the side of the chapel for the erection of a minister's residence facing the road. The tower and spire will be a prominent object in the landscape for miles round. The tower occupies the front angle, and the central gable joins it on one side, the latter will be occupied with a five-light window. The materials used are the red stone from Tegsnose Quarries for walling and face work, and Boiling, ton stone for spire, turrets on tower, and dressing generally. The contract has been taken by Mr Roylance; Mr Charles Frith is the sub-contractor, and Mr Jabez Wright has been appointed clerk of works. [The Builder 16 May 1874 page 423]

Reference           The Builder 16 May 1874 page 423