Building Name

St George’s Church Nutt Lane Simister Prestwich

1914 - 1915
Nutt Lane
Simister, Prestwich
GMCA, England
New Build
F M & H Nuttall of Whitefield

The church was built on a plot of land given by the fifth Earl of Wilton, approximately half acre in extent and lying to the east of Nutt Lane, Simister. Work began on 25 April 1914 and the memorial stone was laid on 10 April 1915 by Miss Carver. Placed on the east wall, the stone was inscribed "To the glory of God and in loving memory of Benjamin Carver, the chancel of this church was erected by his children. April 10 1915". Consecration took place on 14 October 1915.

Accommodation comprised a sanctuary, chancel, north transept (used as a vestry), nave, semi-circular baptistry at the west end, and cellar with heating boiler. Preston’s design also included details for the future provision of a south transept, north and south aisles and tower. However, these have never been added. Norman style. Rose window over the altar. Walls of rubble stone, two feet in thickness faced on the outside with Fletcher Bank stone. Ashlar stone internally and externally was pink Darley Dale stone. Roof of trussed rafters at 2 foot centres. Cypress wood ceiling with mouldings. Sanctuary floor - black and white marble. Floor to the main body of the church was pitch pine wood block flooring. Walls plastered except in the sanctuary where they were of dressed Darley Dale stone Roof - timber boarding, roofing felt and green Tilberthwaite slates. Cost ,2,100 exclusive of architect’s fees

c1920     A solid oak screen dividing the north transept from the nave was erected in memory of the 15 men of the village who died in the First World War. Designed by R B Preston, the screen consisted of eight round headed panels.

1923       Choir stalls in Japanese oak, designed by Robert Martin architect and diocesan surveyor

SIMISTER - The new church of St. George in Simister Lane, Prestwich, is approaching completion and will be dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester in October. [Building News 8 September 1915 Page 281]

Reference    Building News 8 September 1915 Page 281
Reference    J Herbert Kidson.  Records of St Margaret’s Holyrood Prestwich 1849-1926