Building Name

Church of St John, Lodge Causeway, Fishponds Bristol,

1910 - 1912
Fishponds, Bristol
Gloucestershire, England
New build
W Read of Fishponds

Designed to accommodate 529 persons and built on land donated by Captain Cottrell-Dormer to replace the adjacent temporary tin church. The plans for a permanent church were drawn up by E. H. Lingen Barker and the foundation stone was laid on 17 September 1910. From the outset the church was planned with a temporary chancel and sanctuary, with the intention of completing the church at a later date by building over the site of the old tin church (later used as parish hall and demolished in 1971.  The rendered walls of the “temporary” chancel and organ chamber remain in stark contrast to the stone-faced walls of the permanent church.

BRISTOL – The Bishop of Bristol consecrated the first portion of the new church of St. John's, Fishponds, on the 25th ult., consisting of four bays of the nave and aisles, baptistery, two porches, and a temporary chancel, vestry, and organ-chamber. The present accommodation is for 529, and outlay about £3,800. The builder was Mr. W. F. Read, of Fishponds, and the architect Mr.E. H. Lingen Barker, of London, Manchester, and Bristol. [Building News 16 June 1911 page 859]

Foundation      Stone laid on 17 September 1910
Consecrated    25 May 1911, Ascension Day