Building Name

Church of St. Cledwyn. Llanglydwen, Carmarthenshire

1882 - 1883
Carmarthenshire, Wales
Evans and Blethyn

TO BUILDERS. Tenders are required for the Partial Restoration of LLANGLYDWEN CHURCH situate close to a Station, on the Whitland and Cardigan Railway. Particulars and Quantities supplied on application to E. H. Lingen Barker, Architect. 1, Palace Yard, Hereford [Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 2 June 1882 page 2]

RESTORATION OF LLANGLYDWEN CHURCH. The above Church was re-opened by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese on Friday last, the 24th inst.  ..... The following is an architectural account of the work executed that we have been favoured with :— The fabric consists of the nave 36 feet 6 in. long by 17 feet 6 in. wide; chancel 18 feet long by 13 feet 6 in. wide, to which have now been added a porch and vestry on the south side, the former measuring 5 feet 6 in. square, and the latter 11 feet by 8 feet. The ground has been lowered in places round the building, thus developing its proportions, and at the same time rendering the walls drier, and enabling sufficient ventilation to be provided. New windows of Doulting stone frames and tracery have been inserted, two single lights in each of the N. and S. nave walls, and two light ones in the West and East ends, the latter being filled with stained glass by Clayton and Bell in memory of the late Mrs Protheroe, and at the cost of her daughter, Miss Schaw-Protheroe of Goodwick. Red terra cotta crosses, manufactured by Doel of Bridgend, have been placed on the eastern gables and of nave and chancel, and a stone one on the western bell gablet, which otherwise has not been altered. The western entrance has been blocked up, its flight of internal steps removed, and the new Doulting stone arched doorway provided within the south porch with outer and inner doors of pitch pine fitted with wrought ironwork, from Messrs Brown's celebrated Birmingham Art Metal Works. The whole of the comfortable open seats, chancel stalls, communion table, altar rail, pulpit and lectern, are in varnished pitch pine from the architect's special designs, Messrs. Brown supplying the handsome wrought iron altar standards. Wooden platforms are placed under the seats, the best of the old slate pavement being laid down the centre of the passages, and bordered with an encaustic tile zigzag, provided by Messrs Webb, of Worcester, who also supplied the tile floor in the porch, chancel and Sacrarium, the latter being for the most part highly glazed. The old Norman font bowl and stem have been carefully cleaned and set on a new base. The walls throughout have been plastered internally, and the nave roof timbers very much improved in character and design. The chancel arch and its roof wood- work have not been altered, but, it is hoped, that funds may be found to improve these someday. The fireplace that used to be in the Dolwylim highbacked pew has, like the pew itself, of course, been cleared away. None of the walls are the ancient one—in fact there is nothing old but the font and a monumental cross in the churchyard. The builders were Messrs Evans and Blethyn of Penclipin, and the architect, Mr E. H. Lingen Barker of London, Hereford, and Tenby. [Pembrokeshire Herald 31 August 1883 page 2.

Reference    Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 2 June 1882 page 2
Reference    Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser31 August 1883 page 2