William Henry Beardwood

Place of Birth
Manchester Dublin

  • Born: about 1842
  • Died: 1930

William Henry (or Houghton?)  Beardwood was born in Dublin about 1842, the eldest surviving son of William Haughton Beardwood, a Catholic convert from Lancashire (d.1860) and brother of the architect John Francis Beardwood. By 1872 William Beardwood was in practice as an architect in Manchester and on 6 August 1873 he married Mary Ann Beesley (1843-1894) at Blackpool. [Manchester Guardian 16 August 1873 page 9]. His attempts to establish a practice in Manchester do not appear to have thrived. He returned to Dublin in 1880, setting up in practice at 192 Great Brunswick Street, and remaining at this address until 1904. According to his obituary in the Irish Builder, he worked for Dublin Corporation, eventually becoming a member of the architects' department.

William H Beardwood died in November 1930, survived by his second wife, Florence, and their two adopted children.


1876-1879: William H Beardwood, architect and surveyor, 44 Bridge-street, Deansgate

1880-1904: 192 Great Brunswick Street, Dublin

1914-1918: 27 Queen's Square, Dublin

1922-1927: 74 Lower Leeson Street, Dublin


1876:  William H Beardwood, 51 Plymouth Grove, Manchester

1877-8:William H Beardwood, St James View 75 Dickenson Road Rusholme

1877-8:William H Beardwood, St James View 75 Dickenson Road Rusholme

1879:139 Cecil Street, Moss Side, Manchester


Reference: Dictionary of Irish Architects online database

This database contains further information concerning Beardwood’s career and works in Dublin together with biographical information on other members of the family