Building Name

West End Pier and Pavilion Morecambe

1894 - 1896
Lancashire, England
The Morecambe (Regent Road) West End Pier Company Limited
New Build
Widnes Foundry Company

The Morecambe (Regent Road) West End Pier Company Limited was formed for the purpose of erecting a pier and pavilion with shops, refreshment rooms and other accessories at the west end of Morecambe; the site selected for the pier being opposite the end of Regent Road. The proposed pier was to be 963 yards long and available for steam boats at low water. The pavilion was to be handsomely furnished and decorated and be adapted to all classes of entertainmen. It was calculated to accommodate about 1800 persons. Provision was made for the addition of a promenade balcony at any future time. Outside the pavilion were a restaurant, refreshment rooms, shelters, shops, etc. The width of the pier up to the pavilion was 38 feet, and from thence to the end, 25 feet. Near the terminus was a bandstand. The head of the pier was widened out to 180 feet, providing accommodation for dancing, open air music and other entertainments, with shelters and shops on each side. At the pier head provision will be made on three sides for the embarking and landing of passengers by steam boat, pleasure yachts, etc. Kiosks are intended to be erected at intervals along the length of the pier. The architects estimated the approximate cost at £23,000.

By an agreement dated 21 November 1894 between Morecambe (Regent Road) West End Pier Company Limited and John Littlewood and William Henry Littlewood, practising as Mangnall and Littlewoods, Mangnall and Littlewoods were engaged as architects and engineers to the company.

NEW WEST END PIER, MORECAMBE. On the 6th inst the new West End Pier, Morecambe, was opened by Col. Foster MP. The construction of the pier was begun in March 1895. Thirteen contractors tendered and the contract was let to the Widnes Foundry Company, whose tender was also afterwards accepted for the pavilion. The cost of the first section, 1000 lineal feet in length including the pavilion, with a promenade 38 feet wide will be about ,24,000. The girders and wrought work are all of mild steel with cast iron piles. The pavilion is capable of holding 2000 persons on the ground floor. There are also galleries on three sides. The pavilion is constructed at the stage end as a theatre, with dressing and retiring rooms and other appurtenances. The stage is 30 feet in depth and of considerable width. The pier and pavilion have been constructed from the designs of Messrs Mangnall and Littlewoods, architects, of Manchester. [Builder 11 April 1896 Page 326].

The pavilion was destroyed by fire in 1915 and the Pier demolished in 1978.

Reference    Manchester Guardian Tuesday 12 February 1895 Page 1 Column 3
Reference    British Architect 29 March 1895 Page 2
Reference    Builder 11 April 1896 Page 326