Building Name

Warehouse St John Street Manchester for Eastwood & Taylor

St John Street
Central, Manchester
GMCA, England
Eastwood & Taylor
New build

This building has been erected for Messrs Eastwood & Taylor, bazaar etc decorators and tent and marquee makers. Ample floor space being the great requirement in their business, the plan is very simple. The ground floor is occupied by the offices and stores, with loading place and stables behind. The basement and first and second floors are used as workshops. The construction is substantial and economical, the walls being of brick faced with "stocks" and with bands of dog-tooth, and blue and white bricks and sunk and raised panels as indicated. The basement storey and heads of doors and ground floor windows are of stone from Yorkshire quarries, the doors having carved central ornament and carved and moulded corbels. The window heads have over each a glazed earthenware panel in relief, emblematic of the seasons - Spring, Summer Autumn and Winter. The window cills, balconies and brackets, strings labels copings etc as shown are also of Yorkshire stone. Internally the carpenters' work generally is of Quebec yellow pine, the floor beams being of pitch pine supported on iron columns, and the floors being of planks dressed on both sides and tongued with hoop iron. The outside woodwork, doors windows etc., is of Baltic red deal. The vestibule screen and office fittings are of selected pitch pine, varnished, and the vestibules are fitted round with a dado of glazed tiles and floors laid with geometric tiles supplied by Messrs Maw & Co. The iron window guards and parapet railings were supplied by Messrs Macfarlane & Co of Glasgow. The basement and stable floors are of concrete laid by Mr Malcolm Macleod, and the loading place is paved with Rochdale setts. The contractor for the whole of the works was Mr James Dean of Grosvenor-street and the architect Mr F R Barker of 41, John Dalton Street.[British Architect 12 January 1877 Page 24 with illustration comprising perspective and ground floor plan]

Notes    Building appears to have been situated at the junction of St John Street and Longworth Street.

Reference           British Architect 12 January 1877 Page 24