Building Name

Walwyn’s Castle Church, Pembrokeshire

1872 - 1878
Pembrokeshire, Wales
H. Edwards, of Milford

WALWYN’S CASTLE CHURCH - The restoration of this church is shortly to be proceeded with. Some years ago difficulties of one kind or another connected with the locality caused its stoppage, whilst several portions of the sacred structure remained unroofed, and before any of the flooring had been laid. As a necessary consequence divine service has been since held in the schoolroom. Mr. H. Edwards, of Milford, has been commissioned to carry out the necessary works by the architect, Mr. E. H. Lingen Barker, to whom a vestry meeting, recently held and presided over by the archdeacon, has granted full discretionary powers. [Builder 22 June 1872 page 493]

WALWYN’S CASTLE CHURCH - This church, which is one of the finest in the county of Pembroke, was re-opened on the 25th ult. by the Lord Bishop of St. David’s, the work of restoration, or rather rebuilding, having taken nearly ten years. The architect at first was Mr. F. Wehuert, who at his death was succeeded by Mr. E. H. Lingen-Barker. [Builder16 November 1878 page 1212]

RE-OPENING OF WALWYN'S CASTLE CHURCH - On Friday last the parish church of Walwyn's Castle was re-opened by the Lord Bishop of St. David's. The work of restoration, which has been going on for a period of 10 years, has at length resulted in a beautiful and finished structure which is fully entitled to rank as an ornament among the ecclesiastical buildings of Pembrokeshire. The style of architecture is of no distinctive character, but approaches nearest to what is known as the Perpendicular Gothic. The tower, a square embattled one, is really very beautiful, standing some 60 feet high, and commanding a very fine view of the surrounding country. The architect at first was Mr F. Wehuert, who, at his death, was succeeded by Mr E H Lingen Barker, of Hereford.  [Pembroke Herald 1 November 1878 page 2]

Reference    Builder 22 June 1872 page 493
Reference    Builder16 November 1878 page 1212
Reference    Pembroke Herald 1 November 1878 page 2