Building Name

St Thomas’s Sunday School, Haverfordwest

1886 - 1887
St Thomas Green
Pembrokeshire, Wales
New build
Reynolds and Son

ST. THOMAS' NEW SUNDAY SCHOOL- ROOM. On Tuesday, this Schoolroom was formally opened by Mr Philipps, of Picton Castle, who had kindly presented the site on which it stands. The buildings, which are situated in St Thomas Green and within an easy distance of the parish Church, have been executed from the designs of Mr Lingen Barker, the well-known architect. Alterations, necessitated by considerations of economy, have been made in the original design, for which the architect cannot be held responsible. Had the funds permitted the carrying out of the first plan there is no doubt the facade next the Green would have presented a more attractive appearance. The departures from the design of the architect, however, in no way interfere with the usefulness of the building, which is well adapted for the purposes to which it is to be applied. The accommodation is excellent the main room is 47 feet long by 34 feet wide. There are four class rooms on two stories, measuring 16 feet by 16 feet. There are three entrances: one from St. Thomas Green, and two from the Lane on the east side; the yards and out-offices are reached through two doors in the back wall of the schoolroom. The building has a very, efficient heating apparatus and is well lighted. The interior has a most cheerful appearance, with the roof being boarded. The work has been carried out by Reynolds and Son.

Reference           Pembroke Herald 16 April 1886 page 3