Building Name

St Matthew’s Church Campfield Manchester

1883 - 1884
Liverpool Road
Campfield, Manchester
GMCA, England

ST MATTHEW’S, CAMPFIELD - After having been closed for about two months, St Matthew’s Church, Campfield, was re-opened yesterday with the first of a series of special services. The church was erected in 1824 from the designs of the late Sir Charles Barry. In the autumn of last year a movement was made in order to carry out several alterations and improvements in the interior. The first portion of the scheme - the relighting - was carried out last year, and the remainder is now carried out. The old plaster screen which formed the chord of the apse and divided the vestries from the church has been removed and the church thrown open to the east wall. A chancel or AChorus cantorum@ has been formed in the most easterly bay of the nave by erecting screens on each side, raising the floor and putting choir stalls therein. On the north side clergy and choir vestries have been provided, and an entrance porch. The gallery floor above the new vestries has been lowered and made level so as to receive the organ, which has been removed from the west gallery, thus setting free more than 100 sittings in an excellent part of the church. A new pulpit, designed by the architects, at present in the carver’s hands, will shortly be erected to the memory of the lat rector, Canon Beatly. The whole of the work has been carried out from the designs and under the superintendence of Messrs Preston and Vaughan, architects of this city.[Manchester Guardian 22 December 1884 page 6]

Reference           Manchester Guardian 22 December 1884 page 6