Building Name

Restorations; Church Whitford Flintshire

Whitford, Holywell
Flintshire, Wales

WHITFORD  (Flintshire) A stained glass five-light east window, by Mr. C. A. Gibbs, of the Marylebone-road, in memory of the late Mr. Alexander Cope, J.P., of Saithaelwyd, New Halkyn; also marble chancel-steps and altar railing, and an encaustic tile floor, have been executed here, Mr. Lingen.Barker being the architect, and Mr. W. Balcombe the contractor. [Builder 10 June 1876 page 574]

WHITFORD, RESTORATION OF THE CHURCH.—THE NEW MEMORIAL WINDOW. Efforts are being made to restore the ancient church in this pretty village, and the first part of the work which has been successfully accomplished was uncovered for the divine service held on Sunday last. This includes a beautiful stained-glass window in the east end of the church, which has been erected by Mrs Cope to the memory of her late husband—Alex. Cope, Esq., J.P., of Saithaelwyd. The window contains fire lights, each 10ft. 3in. high, by 2ft 1in. wide. Looking at the window from the chancel, the left hand compartment is filled in with the subject "The raising of Lazarus," next to that is The Shepherds adoring the infant Saviour." The centre compartment contains a representation of  the “Crucifixion," and in the two spaces to the right the subjects are The Ascension," and The Good Samaritan." The window is painted in the highest style of art, with rich deep colouring, and very handsome canopies are placed above the subjects, and pedestals below. At the base of the window is the text Be not afraid, for the Lord thr God is with thee whithersoever thou goest," (Jos. i, 9,) and the inscription To the glory of God id, and to the memory of Alexander Cope, of Saithaelwyd, in this county, who died at Sealy Ham, Pembrokeshire, the 17th of June, 1874." The tracery head of the window is filled in fourteen compartments with angels playing musical instruments, and others in the act of adoration, and bearing scrolls with texts. such as We praise thee, O Lord," "Sing unto the Lord," etc. The window was designed, executed, and fixed by Mr Chas. A. Gibbs, Stained Glass Works, 148, Marylebone-road, London, from instructions and under the superintendence of the architect, Mr E. H. Lingen Barker, of Hereford and London. We may add that Mr Gibhs also executed the stained glass window in Nannerch church, and those at the Ladye Chapel in Hereford Cathedral.

The chancel had also been laid with beautiful encaustic tiles and polished Halkyn marble steps, the cost of which has been defrayed by the contributions of parishioners, headed by a liberal sum from Mrs Cope.. Mr E. Edwards, of Halkyn, supplied the marble steps Messrs. Barratt, of Birmingham, made the ornamental wrought iron and brass altar rail standards and the encaustic tiles forming the pavement were manufactured and laid down by Mr H. C. Webb, of Worcester; the designs of the whole having been supplied by the architect. The work has been substantially carried out under the supervision of the contractor, Mr W. Balcombe, of London and Kenilworth. It is further proposed to continue the work of restoration by putting the top of the church tower, which was never leaded and admits the wet, into thorough repair, and also to improve the organ. …  We may here add that Mr Gibbs has also erected for Mrs Edwardes, Sealy Ham, an exquisite stained glass window in St. Dozwell's Church, Pembrokeshire, to the memory of her son-in-law, the late Mr Cope, The window contains two compartments In which are represented The Good Samaritan," and The raising of Lazarus," with foliated canopies and pedestals. [Flintshire Observer Mining Journal and General Advertiser 21 April 1876 page 4]

Reference    Builder 10 June 1876 page 574]
Reference    Flintshire Observer Mining Journal and General Advertiser 21 April 1876 page 4