Building Name

Rebuilding: Church of St. Giles, Letterston, Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire, Wales

THE RE-OPENING OF ST. GILES'S CHURCH LETTERSTON. This church was re-opened on St. Andrew's day, Nov. 30th, after a complete transformation. About 35 years ago it was rebuilt after the fashion of the times without hardly a trace of ecclesiastical character about it. The chief features in the restoration have been the insertion of new windows, made of Doulston stone; Chancel arch rebuilt of Bath stone; roofs of Chancel and Nave internally renovated the Chancel floor laid with Webb's tiles a a credence table on the north side of chancel, and. the rude and meagre benches have given place to low open seats made of pitch pine, stained and varnished. Also a convenient Vestry room has been added, and the church furnished with Porritt's heating apparatus. The whole has been carried out from plans by Mr Lingen Barker, architect. [Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 9 December 1881 page 2]

Reference    Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 9 December 1881 page 2
Reference    Builder 17 December 1881