Building Name

New Stands, Roodee Racecourse, Chester

Roodee, Chester
Cheshire, England
Chester Race Committee
New Build
Parker Brothers of Chester

CHESTER - The foundation‑stone of the new stands which the Chester Race Committee are erecting were laid by the Duke of Westminster on Saturday. The county club stand will occupy the site of the old stand and extend over a portion of the previous Tattersall's ring. It will be in the half‑timbered style, in keeping with the Chester buildings, and will contain a saloon about 80 feet in length. In front will be a covered promenade, which will be reached from the course by a broad flight of steps. Below the saloon will be dining‑rooms, kitchen, telegraph office, stewards' private rooms, and offices for the secretary, clerks, directors etc, and behind it will be the ladies' retiring rooms, refreshment‑bar, etc. The main entrance will be on the ground level at the end of the old carriage drive. The stand will cover an area of 140 feet by 60 feet. The walls will be built of Ruabon bricks, and the roofs covered with red Ruabon tiles. Over the covered promenade, which will be 100ft. long, will be an open balustrade. The fittings will be of pitch‑pine, with tiled corridors. Immediately adjoining the County Club stand will be Tattersall's stand, which will be 92 feet in length and about 35 feet in breadth. It will be supported on iron columns and roofed with red tiles, and the front will, like the County stand, be in the half‑timbered style. In front of the stand, and running its whole length, will be a flight of stone steps with a tiled roof for protection from the rain. In this stand also there will be a dining‑room and refreshment bar on the level. Separated from Tattersall's stand by an exit passage and brought a little forward so as to follow the line of the course, is the grand stand, which is 80 feet long by 35ft. wide. The new stands will provide about three times the accommodation that the old stands did. The architects are Messrs. Mangnall and Littlewood, of Spring Gardens, Manchester, who designed the stands at Haydock, Hooton, and other racecourses. The contractors are Messrs. Parker Bros., of Chester: and Mr. Joseph Davison, of Manchester, is the clerk of works. [Building News 30 June 1899 p873]

Reference    Manchester Guardian Monday 26 June 1899 Page 6 Column 6
Reference    British Architect 30 June 1899 Page 468
Reference    Building News 30 June 1899 page 873
Reference    Builder 5 May 1900 Page 450