Building Name

New Mill, Lostock Hall, near Preston

1875 - 1876
Lostock Hall, Preston
Lancashire, England
Lostock Hall Spinning Company Limited
New build

LOSTOCK HALL MILL - The building itself may now be said to be practically completed, and when the designs, which include a few simple adornments, are fully carried out, it will be, so far as outward appearance goes, a very handsome structure.  It is four storeys high, with good cellar accommodation, and is fireproof throughout.  One external defect has yet to be remedied, and that we understand, is being provided for.  On the top of the staircase there is a cast-iron cistern, of dimensions extending the whole of the staircase, which at present detracts somewhat from the otherwise fine appearance of the building.  Round this, as we are informed, there is to be placed a stone cornice, of design corresponding with the general architecture of the mill, and when this is completed the defect that is now noticeable will be entirely removed.  Internally the arrangements are everything that could be desired.  The carding-room measures 142 feet by 120 feet inside dimensions, and in addition there is a preparation shed 180 feet long by average 22 feet wide.  The warehouse and scotching-room are each 42 feet wide,  and corresponding in other dimensions with the rest of the mill.  The engine-house is 56 feet by 24 feet, and the boiler-house is made for four boilers, with Green's economiser.  The first spinning- room corresponds in size with the carding room, and over the scutching-room and warehouse are the cotton and the mixing-rooms.  The two top spinning rooms are 186 feet long by 121 feet wide.  The mill is calculated to hold about 55,000 spindles, to spin Bolton counts, and it is anticipated when all is completed, the cost, including the freehold of ten acres, will not exceed 28s. per spindle.  The company, we should state, have already built a number of cottages for their work people, and others will be built as the work of fitting up the mill is proceeded with.  Mr Henry Stead, of Bolton, was the architect, and the contractors were – for brickwork, Mr John Maitland, of Preston, and stonework, Messrs. Cooper and Tullis, of Preston.  When fitting up is completed, the mill will contain two openers and two scutchers, eighty carding engines, sixteen drawing frames of two heads and four deliveries each, supplied with a patent electric stop motion; eight slubbing frames, of 76 spindles each; and 28 jack frames, of 188 spindles each, with 25 pairs of mules, 13 pairs twist and 12 pairs weft, 1228 spindles per wheel. The other contractors have been – for the mules, Messrs. Dobson and Barlow, of Bolton, scutchers and carders, Messrs. Platt Bros. and Co., of Oldham, drawing frames and fly frames, Messrs. Howard and Bullough, of Accrington, and the mill gearing and shafting is supplied by Mr Clayton, of Preston. [Preston Chronicle, 27 January 1877]

Reference    Manchester Guardian Thursday 6 May 1875 Page 6 (Contracts)
Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 8 May 1875 Page 9 (Contracts)
Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 15 May 1875 Page 10 (Contracts)
Reference    British Architect 26 January 1877 Page 59 (descriptive note)
Reference    Preston Chronicle 27 January   1877 – starting of engines