Building Name

Memorial Cross, St Cynog's Churchyard, Church Road, Penderyn,

Church Road
Glamorganshire, Wales
New build
T D Williams

PENDERYN - A costly Aberdeen granite cross, 12 feet in height, has recently been placed in Penderyn Churchyard, in memory of the late Rev. C Maybery, who has been rector of the parish for 40 years, and an active magistrate for the counties of Brecon and Glamorgan. The Forest of Dean stone base (which is square upon plan) has small recessed red polished granite shafts at the corners, and trefoils of similar material are inlaid in the fronts of the four gablets at the apex of the cap. The circular grey granite 5-inch diameter column supporting the red granite cross has a moulded cap and base, and both are highly polished. The execution of the work was entrusted to Mr. T.D. Williams, monumental sculptor, of Aberdare, by the architect, Mr. E H Lingen Barker, of Hereford. [Building News 13 September 1872 page 210]

Reference           Building News 13 September 1872 page 210