Mechanics and Literary Institution, Court Street, Saddleworth
SADDLEWORTH MECHANICS’ INSTITUTION - Last evening a public meeting to inaugurate the new building was held in the Mechanics’ and Literary Institution Saddleworth. The Right Hon the Earl of Carlisle KG in the chair. .... The building is a plain structure of Saddleworth stone, the front , which is to Court Street, being in the Decorated English style of architecture. It contains a library, reading room, news-room, large and small classrooms, the warden’s apartment and a large lecture-hall. The lecture-room, which is capable of accommodating 1,000 people, is fitted with a capacious orchestra and platform. A gallery that will seat 200 is opposite the orchestra. The room is lighted with three pendant sun lights. [Manchester Guardian 18 June 1859 page 5].
Reference Manchester Guardian 18 June 1859 page 5