Building Name

Lower Campfield Market, Liverpool Road

1876 - 1880
Knott Mill, Manchester
GMCA, England
New Build
Grade II

A general market was held in the Lower Market Hall until the Council constructed yet another market hall, now demolished, on the corner of Tonman Street. The Lower Hall became an exhibition centre, eventually being leased to Provincial Exhibitions Ltd in the 1920s. This company refurbished the building, now reā€‘named 'City Exhibition Hall', and it was used to stage a wide variety of events until the 1970s. After remaining vacant for some years it was restored to house the Air and Space Museum, opened in 1983.