Building Name

Frizinghall Congregational Chapel

1890 - 1891
Frizinghall, Bradford
Yorkshire, England
New Build

In order to meet the religious needs of the increasing population of West Bradford, the Congregationalists of the town determined some years ago to raise the sum of £6000, to be equally apportioned towards the erection of suitable places of worship at Brownroyd, Girlington, and Frizinghall. At the last-named place a Sunday school was opened in  June, 1881, in a wooden building in Aireville Road. At  that time the congregation worshipped in Airedale College  Hall. Evening services were commenced afterwards at  Frizinghall, and these were carried on with such success  that when Salem Chapel was built, and the College Hall  congregation was dispersed, it was resolved to build a  Congregational Chapel at Frizinghall.  The foundation of the present chapel was laid in May, 1890; and the building was opened for worship on the 10th of March, 1891. The new edifice is an elegant and substantial structure in the decorated Gothic style of architecture, from designs by Mr Herbert Isitt. The building is planned on the principle of a nave with two shallow transepts and a chancel, and with a lofty spire in front. Including the purchase of the land, the total cost was £3,120.

Reference : William Cudworth,  History of Manningham Heaton and Allerton, 1896 page 273