Building Name

Founder’s Lodge, 75a Mildmay Park, Islington.

Mildmay Park
London Borough of Islington
GLC, England
New built
converted to residential

Accessed from Mildmay Park, the Founder’s Lodge, now named C L R James House, is the only survivor of the Mildmay Hospital complex, a notable group of buildings situated between Newington Green and Mildmay Grove North. It comprises a building of two storeys with a steeply pitched roof with overhanging eaves above.  Typical of this period, the building is asymmetrical in form combining yellow stock brick with red brick dressings to the windows and doors. An illustration by W W Baldwin appeared in the British Architect of 1 February 1895 without accompanying text. It has now been converted to residential use.

The Founders' Lodge is a pleasant home which has been erected near to the hospital. Visitors who wish for a period of rest and spiritual refreshment amongst the Mildmay workers are also received as boarders in this house. [Every Woman's Encyclopaedia].