Building Name

Extension: Fish Market, Manchester

1877 - 1879
Shudehill, Manchester
GMCA, England
New Build
Robert Neill and Sons

EXTENSION THE MANCHESTER WHOLESALE FISH MARKET. About a month ago the markets committee the Manchester Corporation invited four firms of local architects—Messrs. and Littlewoods, Messrs. Barker and Ellis, Mr. William Dawes, and Messrs. Speakman and Hickson—to send designs for the proposed extension the wholesale fish market at Shudehill. At a special meeting on Thursday the markets committee unanimously, decided to recommend the City Council to select one of two plans prepared the continental style of architecture by Messrs. Mangnall and Littlewoods, of Brown Street. The plot of land purchased for the extension of the wholesale fish market covers an area of about 2,000 square yards, and is bounded by Thomas Street, New High Street, Stable Street, and the existing market. By the plan selected, it is proposed to lay out that portion of plot fronting Thomas Street for shops and offices. This building, which would be three storeys high, would be 140 feet in length, 30 feet in depth, and would cover an area of 500 square yards, leaving net area for the extension of the market about 1,500 square yards. With this addition the market will cover a total area of about 4,000 square yards. The first plan submitted by Messrs Mangnall and Littlewoods showed a roof with a single span, the object of which was to give a lofty gable in the elevation, and thereby secure harmonious grouping with the three-storey building containing the shops and offices. The markets committee have, however, chosen the alternative design of the same architects, which shows the roof of the proposed new market constructed in two bays, each 45 feet wide, and supported by cast iron columns similar design to those in the existing market. the event of the Council approving of this plan the centre of the roof will be raised for the purposes of ventilation, and ample light will be secured by continuous sun-lights in the centre and from one side of each bay. The principals will be constructed with cast iron principal backs and wrought iron tie rods, and will have lighter appearance than the wooden principals of the existing market. The front elevation will treated in a similar manner to the present elevation, being faced with stock bricks and Yorkshire stone dressings. It is not proposed to provide any cellars under the new market, because those present in use have not realised the rentals expected. There will be eight shops in the Thomas-street frontage, and each will be 30 feet by 17 feet. The shops will be so constructed that the building could be divided into a number of tenements, columns being introduced at a distance of 17 feet apart, so that tenant can at any time have one, two, or three shops thrown into one. It is estimated that the erection of the market accordance with the design selected would be about £15,500. —The design of Mr William Dawes showed free treatment of the early French style of architecture, principally adopted in the north of Normandy, and the object of the architect has been to make the new building much in harmony with the existing market as possible. The estimated cost of the extension proposed, if this plan were adopted, would be about £20,000. Messrs. Barker and Ellis's plan was in the Italian style of architecture, the roof being divided into two bays. [Manchester Courier 19 May 1877 page 6]

MANCHESTER. - The new wholesale fish‑market at Manchester was opened on Thursday week. The elevation of the market frontage to High street has been carried out in uniformity with that portion of it which was built about seven years ago. The style is Free Gothic of a Continental type. The newly‑built part of the market has four entrances, two of which are for vehicles only ; the gateways are of large proportions, filled in with handsome wrought‑iron gates, which arc probably the largest in the provinces erected for such a, purpose. The whole of the wrought metal‑work has been executed by the Coventry Art Metal Company. At each angle of the building an oriel window has been introduced, with granite shafts to the jambs, the angles taking a circular form from above the oriels, and at each end the roof is turreted in pavilion form. The architects are Messrs. Mangnall and Littlewoods, of Manchester, and the builders Messrs Robert Neill and Sons. [Building News 6 June 1879 page 646]

Reference    Manchester Courier 19 May 1877 page 6
Reference    Manchester Courier 6 October 1877 page 3 - contracts
Reference    Building News 6 June 1879 page 646