Building Name

Creg Malin Hotel, Promenade, Peel, Isle of Man

1886 - 1887
Isle of Man
New Build

THE NEW "CREG MALIN" HOTEL - Some of the principal inhabitants of the town of Peel, being anxious to meet what they considered the demand for a new hotel in Peel, formed a limited company, and purchased a plot of land situate on the eastern side, and in the centre of the bay, with a commanding view of Peel Castle and surrounding scenery, and instructed Messrs Mangnall & Littlewoods, architects, of Manchester, to prepare plans for the erection of a suitable hotel, and this has now been accomplished. The contract for the building was given to the executors of the late William Gradwell, of Barrow-in-Furness, and the hotel, which was commenced in May, 1886, was opened on Friday, the 1st inst. The following is a description of the new hotel. The principal entrance is approached from the new Promenade, and is situated in the centre of the front portion of the building. A small flight of steps lead to the vestibule entrance, which is fitted with handsome screen doors, opening into the main corridor, on the right of which is the coffee room, 31 feet in length, with an angle oriel window, commanding a good view of the bay. On the left hand side of the corridor is a dining-room, with an angle oriel similar to the coffee room. Adjoining the dining-room is the manager's room. The main corridor leads to a central hall, which is connected with the billiard-room, bar, service and still room, and lavatories, etc. A tap-room is provided at the rear of the building, and is approached from a separate entrance in the side street. The first pair floor is approached from the hall by a handsome staircase, and provides accommodation for a drawing-room and sitting-room to the front portion of the building, each provided with oriel windows. Spacious bed-rooms, with bath-room, lavatories, etc., are also provided on this floor. The second and third pair floors each contain numerous spacious bed-rooms, with store rooms, bath-room, and lavatory accommodation. The cooking arrangements appear to be ample; and the basement, which contains the wine and beer cellars, is well elevated above the ground level, and provides ample light and ventilation. The external elevations are of neat design, and are a pleasant departure from the stereotyped stucco always met with in the Island. They are faced with Ruabon bricks, and cream coloured bricks, and a new artificial stone, similar in colour to the Ruabon bricks, judiciously introduced to the moulded cornices, balconies, string courses, etc. The oriel windows, at each angle of the front portion of the building, are carried up above the main roof to form turrets, and have battlemented parapets terminating with octagon campanile roofs. [Isle of Man Times 23 July 1887 page 5]

Closed 2004, Conversion into six apartments

Reference    Isle of Man Times 23 July 1887 page 5
Reference    Isle of Man Times 6 March 1894 page 1 -sales particulars