Building Name

Church of St Justinian, Fraystrop, Pembrokeshire

Freystrop, near Haverfordwesy
Pembrokeshire, Wales
T. & J. Lloyd, of Haverfordwest

FREYSTROP - The reconstruction of Fraystrop church has just been completed upon the original foundations, the old walls upon the north and east sides being allowed to remain. A new vestry and bell-cot have been added, the former occupying the corner found by the nave and north transept, and the latter the apex of the western gable wall. A plan not very uncommon in old Pembrokeshire churches, and producing a very good effect, has been adopted with regard to the floor which is made to rise with a gradual slope from West to East. The internal fittings, floors, windows, doors, and roofs have been designed in a simple early style, by the architect, Mr. E. H. Lingen Barker, so as to suit the locality and materials, no clue to the original design being obtainable. The floor of the chancel has been laid with encaustic tiles by Mr. H. C. Webb, of Worcester, while the passages in the nave and transept consist of Peake's terro-metallic tiles, with a few glazed ones intermixed. The reredos is a rather elaborate design in Bath stone, and glazed figured tiles, from Godwin’s manufactory, at Lugwardine. The wrought-iron and brass work have been supplied by two Birmingham firms, Messrs. Thomason & Co., and the Messrs. F.T. & A. Barratt. The roofs are all open timbered, plastered between the rafters, covered with Bangor slates, and crested with Peake's buff ornamented ridge tiles, with crosses above the gable ends in the same material and colour, from Mr. J. K. Cooper's Works at Maidenhead, there being no stone copings adopted. The only features of antiquarian interest have been carefully preserved. These consisted of a hagioscope, two square - headed recesses in the east wall of the chancel, and a Norman font in excellent preservation. The internal dimensions have not been altered, and are as follow: nave, 25 ft. by 14 ft.; transept, 12 ft. by 13 ft. 8 in.; and chancel, 19 ft. 4 in. by 13 ft. 6 in.; from which it will be seen the various parts were in good proportion. The accommodation is for 120 (exclusive of extra space for chairs), instead of 42 as heretofore. The contractors were Messrs. T. & J. Lloyd, of Haverfordwest. [Builder 29 August 1874 page 732]

The church is dedicated to St. Justinian, one of the lesser-known saints, but who was said to be a great friend of St. David. It was built on an ancient Celtic site over 3,500 years old and the Yew tree at the end of the graveyard is reputedly of the same age. The font is Norman, which suggests that there has been a church was on this site for almost 1,000 years. In 1874 the church was virtually rebuilt on its earlier foundations at a cost of £600 raised by the then Rector, Jackson Taylor.  The Church is situated at Lower Freystrop about a quarter of a mile from the river Cleddau on land originally belonging to the Picton Castle estate.

Reference           Builder 29 August 1874 page 732