Building Name

Church of St Catherine, Granston, Pembrokeshire

Pembrokeshire, Wales
T and J Lloyd, Haverfordwest

GRANSTON CHURCH. This Church was re-opened on Thursday last after a very complete and most satisfactory restoration. …. A few months ago the building was in a deplorable state of dilapidation. The bare earth was its only flooring except at the eastern extremity of the Chancel, where a few bricks had been roughly laid down the roof covering had disappeared altogether in several places, the sacred fabric becoming in consequence the sport of every fierce west wind that blew direct off the Atlantic, which rendered it only fit for a shelter for bats and sea birds. Now, however, through the energetic spirit and liberality of the Vicar, the Rev Rowland Daniel, and the assistance of the Incorporated Church Building Society, and numerous friends of the Church, both in the parish and out of it, a wonderful change has been effected by Messrs Lloyd, of Dark Street, in this town, working from the plans and under the superintendence or the architect, Mr E. H. Lingen Barker, of London, Hereford, and Tenby. The works that have been executed may be summed up as follows. With the exception of the north Nave wall and the south Chancel wall, both of which were so much out of the perpendicular that it was absolutely necessary to rebuild them, the massive old walls have been left standing. A new porch has been provided on the north side of the Nave, and He Hagioscope between the Chancel and north Transept has been rebuilt, and when curtains are drawn across the arches will supply the purposes of a Vestry, the want of which as well as of the Porch has been felt. A substantial new north door of pitch pine has been provided white trefoil headed single light windows in the north and south walls of Nave, and two- light windows in the west wall of Nave, and in Chancel and Transept gables, with quatrefoils in heads, take the place of some comparatively modern ones formed of ordinary unhung sashes, such as may be found in nearly all the unrestored Churches throughout the county, but which are scarcely fit for the humblest of the cottages. All the windows are glazed with crown glass in diamond lead quarries, and marginal tinted borders, having hoppers for ventilation where needed. New slated roofs of increased pitch, and of open timber work, plastered between the rafters, have been provided throughout, the ridge cresting being of white ornamental Staffordshire tile, with corresponding terra cotta crosses from Messrs Johnson's well-known works near Burgess Hill, in Sussex. New iron guttering has been fixed to the eaves throughout. The insides of the walls generally have been plastered. Webb's encaustic tile have been laid in the porch and chancel, (the latter having been raised two steps,) and borders of Peake's tiles elsewhere. A new pulpit, lectern, communion table, and chancel stalls have been provided from the architect's detailed drawings, and the old Norman font has been cleaned and set in its proper position near the entrance. The number of worshippers now provided for in comfortable, open stained red deal seats on raised wooden platforms is 103, while previously the accommodation was for only 58, in eleven rickety benches and a horse box pew of equally unsubstantial character. [Pembrokeshire Herald 12 July 1878 page 2]

GRANSTON, PEMBROKESHIRE - On the summit of a rugged cliff, overhanging the broad Atlantic, a few yards from Abermoule, the spot where the submarine cable that unites this country with America quits the British coast, stood until very recently the ruins of the church of the above parish. On the 4th ult., however, it was re-opened after a thorough restoration (which almost amounted to a rebuilding), from the plans and under the superintendence of Mr E. H. Lingen-Barker, architect. The wild birds of the sea had long made the sacred fabric their habitation, for the roof covering, and many of the timbers, had to a large extent disappeared. There were no indications of any other floor having existed than the “ bare earth,” except in the Squire’s highbacked  pew, which occupied the whole of the  transept, the distinction between rich and  poor being also kept up most consistently in the  other seats, which were nothing more than a  few rickety trestles or forms. The walls being  fortunately of very substantial masonry, have, with the exception of those facing north in the  nave and south in the chancel, been left standing, but everything else was obliged to be renewed, open timber roofs, tile floors, doors  windows and fittings, the only part of the  original work remaining besides walls being the  fine old Norman font, which has been carefully  cleaned and reset.  The contractors for the work were Messrs T. &, J. Lloyd, of Dark-street, Haverfordwest. [Builder 10 August 1878 page 642]

Reference    Pembrokeshire Herald 12 July 1878 page 2
Reference    Builder 10 August 1878 page 642
Reference    ICBS 08090