Building Name

Chorlton-upon-Medlock Temperance Hall and Mechanics’ Institution

Grosvenor Street
All Saints, Manchester
GMCA, England
New Build

CHORLTON-UPON-MEDLOCK TEMPERANCE HALL & MECHANICS’ INSTITUTION - The corner stone of a new building, to be erected in Grosvenor Street, Oxford Road, and to be styled the Chorlton-upon Temperance Hall and Mechanics' Institution, was laid with usual ceremonies on Saturday afternoon. by Mr Morris, who has a cotton factory in the neighbourhood of the intended building. In a cavity under the corner was deposited a brass plate having the following inscription "This corner stone of a Temperance Hall and Mechanics' Institute, erected by public subscription, for the advancement of temperance and education was laid by William Morris Esq,1 September 1849, Thomas Toplis, architect; Messrs Clarke and Jones, builders, Thomas Taylor, chairman and John Riley and David Morris, secretaries of the building committee." Along with the plate were deposited the following coins of the realm: a half farthing, a farthing, a half-penny, a penny in copper; and in silver a three- penny, four-penny, six-penny, a shilling and a two-shilling piece, or florin.


The architect of the building is Mr. Thomas Toplis, principal clerk to Mr. J. E. Gregan, architect, Cooper-street, who revised the plans. The following description of the building: —The proposed hall will present a frontage in Grosvenor-street of about 43 feet, and extend to about 60 feet in depth. The basement storey will be divided into apartments for reading, class, and coffee rooms, and a porter's dwelling. Above will be the principal storey, which will consist of a large hall, 55 feet long 40 feet wide, with gallery at the end nearest Grosvenor street, under which will be the heads of two staircases, and between these a comfortable tent-room, for the meetings of the members of the different tents of Rechabites. The hall, lengthways, will be divided into three compartments by two rows of pillars, the centre being double the width of the sides, and considerably higher. Over the pillars, in the space above the top of the side, windows will be placed, somewhat similar in arrangement to those the clerestory of church. In the centre of the ceiling there will also be a large dome or lantern-shaped light, which, in addition to making the hall much lighter, will be made subservient to the purposes of ventilation. The interior of the building will be plainly finished, the object being to supply comfortable accommodation, rather than ornament. The exterior will also be plain, it being determined not to use some ornamental stone work around the doors and windows, as originally proposed. There will be two entrances, corresponding with the staircases referred to; the windows lighting the tent-room and also some for the basement storey, being between the doors. The height of the building from the level of the street will be 42 feet 6 inches. [Manchester Courier Saturday 8 September 1849 page 8]

Reference           Manchester Courier Saturday 8 September 1849 page 8