Building Name

Abergorlech, Parish Church Carmarthenshire

1881 - 1885
Carmarthenshire, Wales
Alteration and extension
Edwin Giles

CARMARTHENSHIRE. ABERGORLECH - The Church, which is romantically situated in this little mountain village, probably enjoyed till lately the distinction of being the smallest in the United Kingdom, being only 25 feet in length and 16 feet in breadth. It has now been recast entirely and a 16 feet by 13 feet Chancel and North Vestry added, the total accommodation being raised from 54 to 80. New windows, floors, doors, roofs and bell turret have been provided. The wrought ironwork has been supplied by Messrs Brawn & Co., Birmingham the encaustic tile pavement by Webb's Worcester Tileries Co., and the stone carving has been executed by Mr Herridge, of Cardiff. The Church was re-opened on the 20th ult., by the Lord Bishop of St. David's. The restoration was principally due to the energy of the Rev M. Jones, Rector of Brecfa. The general contractor for the works was Mr Edwin Giles, of Carmarthen, and the Architect, Mr E. H. Lingen Barker, of London, Hereford, and Swansea. [Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 20 November 1885 page 2]