William Telford Gunson

civil engineer, architect surveyor valuer
Place of Birth

  • Born : 18 November 1839
  • Married (1) Phyllis 1864
  • Married (2) Mary – described as widow in probate records
  • Died : 9 August 1924 at Blackpool

William Telford Gunson was born at Durham, on 18 November 1839, the son of William Wilson Gunson. He was educated privately and at the Durham School of Art, where he gained several medals and prizes before serving articles with a London firm. He was afterwards assistant in various London offices, and for ten years in the City Surveyor's Office, Manchester. In 1873 he entered into partnership with R L Mestayer. After Mestayer moved to Australia W T Gunson worked alone and was subsequently joined by his son, Ernest Gunson, the firm being styled W. Telford Gunson and Son. 

His major commissions included the Buxton Gas Works, Crewe Cattle Market, Hyde Reform Club, Lytham Pier and Pavilion, Ramsey Hydropathic Establishment as well as several county police stations,  Prestwich Union  Tramp Wards, Salford Workhouse, Wilton Club, and the Tower Chambers.

Architect  to  the  County  Justices  of  Lancashire  (Manchester Division)  for  fifteen  years; Architect to the Prestwich Board of Guardians; Valuer to the County Justices of Lancashire, the Manchester Corporation, the Overseers of North Manchester, and the County Council of Lancashire; member of the Manchester  Society of Surveyors and  Valuers;  member of the Rusholme Local Board for three years prior to the incorporation of Rusholme with Manchester member of the Manchester City Council, 1884-92, being returned unopposed at each election; resigned, 1892.

1877 : Mestayer & Gunson  32 Mansfield Chambers 17 St Ann’s Square (Slater)
1877 : Mestayer & Gunson  Marsden Chambers Marsden Street (MC  24 November 18770
1895 : W T Gunson & Son 10 Marsden Street Manchester

1872 : South Street, Ardwick
1881 : Newton Terrace, 2 Newton Avenue, Manchester (Census )
1894 : William Telford Gunson CE (W Telford Gunson & Son) Falcon House, Victoria Park,  [Manchester Guardian 5 May 1894 Page 4 Column 5]
1924 : 87 Reads Road Blackpool


Buildings and Designs

Building Name District Town/City County Country
Cheetham Reform Club Bignor Street Heywood Street Cheetham Cheetham  Manchester  GMCA  England
Cheetham Reform Club: Bowling Green Cheetham  Manchester  GMCA  England
The Rhyl Gardens Lake and Land Company Limited   Rhyl  Clwyd  Wales
Isle of Man Tramways Limited   Douglas    Isle of Man
Free Christian Church Longsight Longsight  Manchester  GMCA  England
Hyde Reform Club House Market Street and Foundry (Fountain) Street Hyde   Hyde  GMCA  England
Cattle Market and Abattoirs, Crewe   Crewe  Cheshire  England
10-12 Cateaton Street Manchester Central  Manchester  GMCA  England
Bread Factory (Steam Bakery) Baker Street Stockport Road Longsight Longsight  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station and Strong Rooms Reddish Reddish  Stockport  GMCA  England
Police Station Chorlton-cum-Hardy Chorlton-cum-Hardy  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station Openshaw   Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station, Clarendon Road (now Cravenwood Road), Crumpsall Crumpsall  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station Newton Heath Newton Heath  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Courts Strangeways Manchester Strangeways  Manchester  GMCA  England
Inspector's Residence adjoining the Police Station Withington Withington  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station Failsworth Failsworth  Oldham  GMCA  England
Police Station Levenshulme Levenshulme  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station Gorton Gorton  Manchester  GMCA  England
Police Station Green Lane Patricroft Patricroft  Eccles  GMCA  England
Extension: Prestwich Union Offices Cheetham Hill Road Cheetham  Manchester  GMCA  England


Name Designation Formed Dissolved Location
Gunson and Son Architectural practice 1891 1924 Manchester
Mestayer and Gunson Architects and Engineers 1871 1879 Manchester