William Somerville Beaumont

Place of Birth

  • Birth date          1876-7 at Cheadle
  • Married (1)         27 July 1904 Margaret (Greta) Gibbons at Wilmslow Parish Church
  • Married (2)         Marjorie Scotson Harrison (April-June 1938 Bucklow district)
  • Death date         29 November 1943, aged 67
  • Interment          Ringway Parish Church.

The son of James William and Emily Prentice Beaumont, William Somerville Beaumont was born in Cheadle, Cheshire about 1876 and educated at Giggleswick Royal Grammar School. He entered into partnership with his father in 1900 and his brother J S Beaumont in 1919. When J W Beaumont retired on 31 December 1930 the two brothers continued the practice under the style of J W Beaumont and Sons. William S Beaumont had been responsible for the extensions to Lewis’s department store in Piccadilly, Manchester, completed in 1929. However, his role in the partnership appears to have diminished thereafter and he might have retired before the outbreak of the Second World War.

In 1916 W S Beaumont joined the Royal Engineers, becoming 2nd Lieutenant in October of that year. In 1918 he was on the front line exploding charges on the enemy’s wire, activities for which he was awarded the Military Cross. Reported missing on 21 March 1918 it was subsequently confirmed that he was a prisoner and wounded. After the war W S Beaumont continued to serve in the Territorial Army, rising to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel commanding 42nd division of the Royal Engineers. He retired in November 1932 on completion of his tenure of command.

1907-1911 : William S Beaumont, “Sunnymede,” Hayes Lane, Alderley Edge
1927 : Ash House, Grove Lane Hale (Kelly)
1943 : Lilac Cottage, Wilmslow Road, Ringway



Name Designation Formed Dissolved Location
Beaumont J W and Son Architectural practice 1900 1919 Manchester
Beaumont J W and Sons Architectural practice 1919 1965 Manchester