Wilfrid Blythell Edwards
- Born: 1898
- Died: 29 April 1964
Known to his students as 'Teddy', Professor Wilfird Bythell Edwards MA (Manchester) and B.Arch (Liverpool) was professor of Architecture at Newcastle in the late 1940 and 1950s.
He was born in Flint in 1898 and was articled to the Flintshire County Engineer. He graduated from Liverpool University School of Architecture and thereafter worked in a variety of offices before becoming a senior lecturer and later Reader in Architecture under Professor A C Dickie in at Manchester University School of Architecture. In 1933 he was appointed head of the Durham University School of Architecture, at the time at King's College, Newcastle-upon-Tyne and subsequently became the first Professor there, a post which he held until his retirement in 1960, following which he and his wife went to live at Gellifor, near Ruthin, Denbighshire. At the same time as his teaching posts, he practised as W B Edwards and Partners and undertook a wide range of architectural work.
In 1933 he exhibited examples of his work at the rooms of the Manchester Society of Architects. The review published in the Manchester Guardian noted: “None of the drawings on show represent buildings of imposing size. Houses and churches have been the architect’s chief concern. A corner of the Flint Borough housing scheme is unlikely to stir anyone’s heart, but some of his other dwelling houses, with their beautiful white doorways, do. Most people will be struck with his understanding of brick and with his beautiful use of it. Perhaps Mr Edwards would regard as his best work the Convent of the Poor Clares Colletine at Hawarden, near Chester.” [Manchester Guardian 10 February 1933 page 11]. His later commissions in the north-east of England, included work for King's College, Newcastle, designing buildings for the Faculties of Arts, Science, and Engineering, as well as the Ethel Williams Hall of Residence. Latterly he acted as consultant on a number of important projects, including the large office block for the ICI at Billingham.
Edwards died on 29 April 1964 in a Liverpool hospital.
Obituary: RIBA Journal June 1964 London: Royal Institute of British Architects page 287
Obituary: The Times (London, England), Saturday, 2 May 1964; page 10
Obituary: Manchester Guardian 2 May 1964 page 3
Reference: Dictionary Scottish Architects