James Robertson Adamson
- Born 7 September 1883
- Died 2 September 1943
A partner in the firm of Bradshaw Gass and Hope of Silver Street, Bolton, from 1920. James Robertson Adamson was born in Scotland on 7 September 1883 and was educated at Galashiels High School and George Watson's College, Edinburgh. He was articled to Sir John Burnet in his Glasgow office from 1901 and studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Royal Technical College, Glasgow. About 1906 he was involved with the design of St Thomas's Episcopal Church, Aboyne Aberdeenshire, as assistant to Fryers & Penman. In 1910 he moved to Newcastle upon Tyne where he was chief assistant to Graham and Hill, and in 1913 went as chief assistant to Bradshaw Gass and Hope in Bolton. He became a partner in 1920 and was chiefly involved in municipal, commercial and domestic work. Many were won in open competition, including the winning design for Leith Town Hall and Public Library.
Adamson was elected FRIBA in early 1930, his proposers being John Bradshaw Gass, Arthur John Hope and Richard Hermon Crook, all of Bolton. He took a prominent part in RIBA and Allied Society affairs. being President of the Manchester Society of Architects in 1933-1935, and Vice-President of the RIBA, 1937-1939. He was Chairman of the Allied Societies' Conference from 1937 to 1939 and a member of the Manchester Civic Advisory Committee.
James Robertson Adamson died on 2 September 1943 at Newlands Nursing Home, Heaton. His funeral service was held at Mawdsley Street Congregational Church and interment at Heaton Cemetery, Bolton, on 7 September 1943. He was survived by his wife, Caroline Peach Adamson
Address : 1913-1943: Bradshaw Gass and Hope, Silver Street, Bolton
Residence : 1938-1943 : James Robertson Adamson, High Lea, Albert Road, Heaton, Bolton
Reference : The Architects’ Journal 11 June 1936 page 908 – notes on RIBA candidates
Reference : Dictionary Scottish Architects
Obituary : Builder 24 September 1943 Page 246
Obituary : RIBA Journal October 1943page 294
|Bradshaw Gass and Hope (no comma)||Architectural practice||1913||2017||Bolton|