Frederick John Almond
- Born 9 December 1870 at Manchester
- Died 1 August 1944 at Bowdon
Born on 9 December 1870 in Manchester Frederick John Almond was the son of Edwin and Ann Almond. His father was a solicitor and clerk to the North Cheshire Water Company with offices at 16 Kennedy Street, Manchester. The legal practice continued as Edwin Almond & Sons, solicitors with his brothers, Arthur James Almond and Herbert Edwin Almond, taken into partnership. About 1879 the family moved from 67 Upper Brook Street to Anson Road. All three sons are recorded as still living at "Fern Lea" Anson Road in 1911. Frederick John Almond did not join his father’s legal practice but rather was articled to Manchester architects Royle and Bennett and remained with them as an assistant 1891-1894. He commenced independent practice in 1894 at 16 Kennedy Street, (also the business address of Edwin Almond & Sons, solicitors). He became a Fellow of the Manchester Society of Architects in 1903 and was elected a Licentiate of the RIBA in 1911.
Little is known of his professional career. Entries in the classified section of the Manchester Guardian from 1894 onwards generally relate to the sale or rent of commercial and residential property. However, he was included in the RIBA Kalendar of 1929-1930, but was not include in that for 1936-1937. In his final years he was described as land agent and surveyor.
He died on 1 August 1944 at 4 Peel Avenue, Bowdon. The funeral service was held at Manchester Crematorium at noon on 3 August 1944.
1894-1944: 16 Kennedy Street, Manchester
1879: 67 Upper Brook Street, Manchester
1881-1911: "Fern Lea" Anson Road Victoria Park, Rusholme Manchester (Slater)
1944: 4 Peel Avenue, Bowdon
Buildings and Designs
|Parish Hall and Sunday Schools in connection with Platt Church||Rusholme||Manchester||GMCA||England|
|New Post Office at Alderley Edge for Mr W E Stevens||Alderley Edge||Cheshire||England|